Job Summary: Petroleum Service Corporation is seeking hard-working, dedicated, and focused Rail Switchmen to join our growing team at one of the largest U.S. petrochemical plants, located in Plaquemine, LA. Our rail group at this site is expanding and adding several new positions due to the outstanding performance and safety culture of our employees.
Our employees are our #1 asset, and we invest considerable time and resources to train them well and keep them safe. We know that our overall success and company growth is a combined effort, and we strive to provide opportunities for our employees to learn, grow, and thrive!
No experience in this industry is required; we pay for on-the-job training. This is a regular full-time position with potential advancement opportunities. If you're looking for a stable, long-term career in a booming industry, then consider joining the PSC family!
Work Schedule: 12-hour rotating shifts on a 2-2-3 schedule (days/nights/weekends/holidays)
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Rail Switchmen are responsible for working with the engineer on the train to safely move railcars in, out and around the facility.
- Examines track list to determine which railcars are to be spotted, loaded, and/or shipped
- Proceeds to the designated track(s) to separate railcars to be shipped/loaded and ensures that there is proper track space available for inbound railcars
- Separates inbound railcars and spots the railcar for loading/discharge
- Ensures that all railcars, which have been spotted, are properly secured by means of setting the brake
- Checks outbound railcars to ensure that all railcars are properly connected
- Weighs all inbound and outbound loads and empties, and ensures that DOT certification for weight on outbound loads is not exceeded
- Must be able to follow OSHA safety standards and be safety conscious at all times
- Must possess a valid TWIC card and driver's license
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Stable work history with good references from past employers
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check
- Speak fluent English
- PSC is a veteran-friendly company. Previous military experience and proven ability to follow procedures is a plus.
You must be able to:
- Speak, write, read, hear, and have good vision
- Work outside in environmental conditions, which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold
- Wear all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of PPE
- Lift 50 pounds floor to waist
- Push and pull 50 pounds horizontally
- Carry 20 pounds while walking
- Walk three to ten miles per day
- Stand four to eight hours per day
- Climb stairs and ladders
- Extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting
Why join the PSC team?
- As the leader in product handling and site logistics for refineries, chemical producers, and marine transportation providers, Petroleum Service Corporation offers plant jobs with great earning potential and advancement opportunities.
- We've been in business since 1952 and have a strong reputation for quality service, safety, and environmental protection.
- The work we do makes a huge impact in our nation's economy. Check out our videos at petroleumservice.com/videos to learn more.
- A variety of medical insurance options with the company paying a large portion of the premiums, as well as affordable plans for dental, vision, accident, and critical illness coverage for employees and their families
- Matching 401(k) plan to help employees save money for retirement
- Holidays, sick leave, and vacation benefits vary by work group and job classification
- Safety incentives and bonuses
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Petroleum Service Corporation, an SGS company, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.