Railcar Loader / Rail Switchman
Job Summary: Petroleum Service Corporation is seeking a Railcar Loader / Rail Switchman to join our team at a petrochemical plant in Plaquemine, LA. This position will be responsible for the safe and efficient loading of railcars or hopper cars with plastic pellets. This individual will also be cross trained on railcar switching and operating a trackmobile. Experience is a plus but not required, and paid on-the-job training is available. This is a regular full-time position with potential advancement opportunities. If you’re looking for a stable, long-term career in a booming industry, then consider joining the PSC family!
Work Schedule: 12 hour rotating shifts (days/nights/weekends/holidays)
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures that railcar is positioned and secured properly at the loading rack and checks for last product contained.
- Visually inspects the railcar or hopper car before transfer to ensure that it is mechanically sound and has no defective equipment.
- Wears all protective clothing and equipment, including respirator and fresh air equipment that may be required to transfer the product in a manner that ensures maximum personal safety.
- Connects loading equipment and transfers according to procedures using gauges and/or strapping tables.
- Checks weight before and after product transfer and ensures that outages or innages do not exceed Department of Transportation (DOT) certification for the particular vessel being loaded.
- Communicates with site leader / supervisor on any problems as they occur.
- Disconnects loading equipment, inspect for any leaks and complete required paperwork prior to releasing the railcar or hopper car.
- Completes any other duties that may be assigned to complete the job.
- Examines track list in order to determine which railcars are to be spotted, loaded, and/or shipped
- Proceeds to the designated track(s) in order to separate railcars to be shipped/loaded, and ensure that there is proper track space available for inbound railcars
- Separates inbound railcars and spots the railcar for loading/discharge
- Ensures that all railcars, which have been spotted, are properly secured by means of setting the brake
- Pulls and separates loaded railcars that will be shipped from those that have been preloaded
- Checks outbound railcars in order to ensure that all railcars are properly connected
- Weighs all inbound and outbound loads and empties
- Ensures that DOT certification for weight on outbound loads is not exceeded
- Any other duties that may be assigned in order to complete the assigned task
- Must be able to follow OSHA safety standards and be safety conscious at all times
- Must possess a valid TWIC card and driver's license
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Stable work history with good references from past employers
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check
- Speak fluent English
- PSC is a veteran-friendly company. Previous military experience and proven ability to follow procedures is a plus.
You must be able to:
- Speak, write, read, hear, and have good vision
- Work outside in environmental conditions, which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold
- Wear all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of PPE
- Lift 50 pounds floor to waist
- Push and pull 50 pounds horizontally
- Carry 20 pounds while walking
- Walk three to ten miles per day
- Stand four to eight hours per day
- Climb stairs and ladders
- Extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting
Why join the PSC team?
- As the leader in product handling and site logistics for refineries, chemical producers, and marine transportation providers, Petroleum Service Corporation offers plant jobs with great earning potential and advancement opportunities.
- We’ve been in business since 1952 and have a strong reputation for quality service, safety, and environmental protection.
- Our employees are our #1 asset, and we invest considerable time and resources to train them well, keep them safe, and provide them with opportunities to gain valuable industry experience.
- The work we do makes a huge impact in our nation’s economy. Check out our videos at petroleumservice.com/videos to learn more.
- Hear what some of our employees have to say about working for us at petroleumservice.com/testimonials
- A variety of medical insurance options with the company paying a portion of the premiums, as well as affordable plans for dental, vision, accident, and critical illness coverage for employees and their families
- Company-paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan to help employees save money for retirement
- Holidays, sick leave, and vacation benefits vary by work group and job classification
- As a member of the SGS global family, our employees are eligible for group purchasing discounts for new auto purchases, homeowners’ and auto insurance coverage, and cell phone service.
- Safety incentives and bonuses
- Industry-leading training and development programs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Petroleum Service Corporation, an SGS company, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.