Job Summary: SGS Petroleum Service Corporation, the leader in the petrochemical material handling industry, is growing and looking for individuals to join our team at a manufacturing chemical plant in Pasadena, Texas. These Railcar Loaders and Railcar Switching/Locomotive Operators positions are regular full-time (not temporary) positions with opportunities for cross-training, career growth, and advancement. Experience is not always required (we provide on-the-job training). These positions work in an industrial environment and are responsible for the safe and efficient loading of poly vinyl chloride (PVC) into hopper railcars / movement of railcars throughout the plant and storage yard. If you’re looking for a stable, long-term career in a booming industry, then consider joining the SGS PSC family!
SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) is a growing company with a proud tradition of excellence in providing product handling, operations, and logistics support at major oil refineries, chemical plants, and storage terminals in the United States and Canada. We are leaders in tankering barges, operating docks, switching railcars, operating warehouses, and loading and unloading tank cars and tank trucks with a variety of oil products and chemicals. We offer competitive wages, advancement opportunities, and industry-leading training and safety programs. Our excellent benefits package helps employees and their families maintain health, save money, and prepare for the future. At SGS PSC, we are a family-oriented company that fuels integrity, teamwork, and ambition. Our mission is to simply be the best at what we do and be recognized as the best.
Key benefits and services offered (depending on eligibility) affordable options for group, medical, dental, life, and disability insurance with company paying a portion of the premiums; matching 401(k) plan; employee discounts; industry-leading training and leadership development programs; paid sick leave, vacations, and holidays; safety incentives and bonuses; and much more.
Safely loads and unloads poly vinyl chloride (PVC) into and out of hopper car railcars. Responsible for safe switching operations of hopper car railcars around the plant and operating a locomotive.
- Manages loading bins and product transitions
- Cleans/Inspects/Prepares hopper car for product loading
- Maintains accurate loading records and batch tracking
- Ensures that hopper car is spotted on proper loading line
- Wears all protective clothing that may be required to transfer the product in a manner that ensures maximum personal safety
- Connects loading equipment to hopper car
- Inspects & ensures Loading Unit equipment is working properly
- Loads hopper car according to loading procedures, quality standards and safe practices
- Checks weight of hopper car after loading to ensure that gross weight does not exceed regulations
- Communicates with facility supervisor on any problems as they occur
- Secures and labels loaded hopper car and completes required paperwork
- Examines track list in order to determine which cars are to be spotted, loaded, and/or shipped.
- Proceeds to the designated track(s) in order to separate cars to be shipped, loaded as well as to ensure that there is proper track space available for inbound cars.
- Separates inbound cars and spots for loading/discharge.
- Spots any other cars that may be designated for loading/discharge.
- Ensures that all cars which have been spotted are properly secured by means of setting the brake.
- Pulls loaded cars and separates cars that will be shipped from those that have been preloaded.
- Checks outbound cars in order to ensure that all cars are properly connected.
- Completes any other duties that may be assigned in order to complete the job
Must have the ability to speak, write, read, hear and have good vision. Must be able to work outside in environmental conditions which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold. Must be able to wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of said PPE. The physical requirements for a loader/switchman include the following: Lift 50 pounds floor to waist, push and pull 50 pounds horizontally, carry 20 pounds while walking, walk 3-10 miles per day, stand 4-8 hours per day, climb stairs, climb ladders, extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting, support oneself on a ladder with two feet and one arm extended for up to 5 minutes.
18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.; stable work history with good references from past employers; pass a drug screen, physical, and background check; and speak fluent English.
SGS Petroleum Service Corporation
Type of Position:
SGS Site Supervisor
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability
SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) is an EOE/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer and
committed to a drug-free and harassment-free work environment.