Dock Operator (On-Call)
Job Summary: Petroleum Service Corporation is seeking an On-Call Marine Dock Operator who enjoys working independently and outdoors around the waterways. This position will travel locally to different chemical plants / refineries and serves as the person-in-charge of the dock and assists the Tankerman with the safe transfer of oil products and chemicals to and from barges and/or ships. Experience is a plus but not required, and paid on-the-job training is available. This is a regular full-time position with potential advancement opportunities. If you’re looking for a stable, long-term career in a booming industry, then consider joining the PSC family!
Work Schedule: 24-hour variable on-call schedule
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Travels to job site as instructed by dispatcher within the allowable time frame
- Meets with the person-in-charge of the vessel for a pre-transfer conference to determine the facility’s expectations, as well as, what is required and expected from the person-in-charge of the vessel to accomplish the transfer in a safe and uninterrupted manner
- Communicates with facility personnel via radio and/or telephone to advise the status of transfer and report any problems that may occur
- Familiar with the facility piping layout to ensure that the proper product and pipeline configuration are utilized in the transfer
- Wears all protective clothing and equipment, including respirator and fresh air equipment that may be required to transfer the product in a manner that insures maximum personal safety.
- Maintains detailed dock logs to ensure all events are recorded in chronological order
- Operates crane, hydraulic, electrical, or mechanical equipment to connect / disconnect the dock arm / hose to the vessel
- Operates manual and/or motor operated valves to control flow of product being transferred
- Gauges barge as directed by facility and procures sample of product from vessel as required by the facility
- Maintains open communication with person-in-charge of the vessel to ensure that the transfer is accomplished in a safe and efficient manner, as planned in the pre-transfer conference
- Calls the dispatcher to report all work times, delays, discrepancies, and any other information of importance in the transfer
- Interfaces with United States Coast Guard, Department of Agriculture, and/or INS, (all in the case of transfers involving ships), as may be required to clear the vessel for the transfer
- Must possess a valid TWIC card and driver’s license
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Stable work history with good references from past employers
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check
- Speak fluent English
- PSC is a veteran-friendly company. Previous military experience and proven ability to follow procedures is a plus.
You must be able to:
Why join the PSC team?
- Speak, write, read, hear, and have good vision
- Work outside in environmental conditions, which at times include extreme heat or cold
- Be comfortable around water and heights
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of PPE
- Lift 60-80 pounds to waist and carry up to 300 feet
- Walk one to four miles per job
- Climb stairs and ladders
- Step as much as two feet horizontal and vertical
- Extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting
- Grip/hold/pull 80 pounds
- As the leader in product handling and site logistics for refineries, chemical producers, and marine transportation providers, Petroleum Service Corporation offers plant jobs with great earning potential and advancement opportunities.
- We’ve been in business since 1952 and have a strong reputation for quality service, safety, and environmental protection.
- Our employees are our #1 asset, and we invest considerable time and resources to train them well, keep them safe, and provide them with opportunities to gain valuable industry experience.
- The work we do makes a huge impact in our nation’s economy. Check out our videos at petroleumservice.com/videos to learn more.
- Hear what some of our employees have to say about working for us at petroleumservice.com/testimonials
- A variety of medical insurance options with the company paying a portion of the premiums, as well as affordable plans for dental, vision, accident, and critical illness coverage for employees and their families.
- Company-paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance.
- Matching 401(k) plan to help employees save money for retirement.
- Holidays, sick leave, and vacation benefits vary by work group and job classification
- As a member of the SGS global family, our employees are eligible for group purchasing discounts for new auto purchases, homeowners’ and auto insurance coverage, and cell phone service.
- Safety incentives and bonuses.
- Industry-leading training and development programs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Petroleum Service Corporation, an SGS company, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.