Railcar Loader / Switchman
Baton Rouge, LA
Job Summary: Petroleum Service Corporation is looking for individuals to work as Railcar Loaders and Switchmen in an industrial chemical plant environment. The primary responsibilities of this position are to safely load and unload plastic pellets into and out of hopper cars and to also work with the engineers on the hopper cars to safely move them in, out and around the facility.
Work Schedule: 12 Hour Rotating Shift (Days/Nights/Weekends)
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Matches loading schedule to bill of lading
- Weighs railcar/truck in prior to product transfer
- Fills out loading record
- Ensures that truck/railcar is positioned and secured at proper loading rack
- Visually inspects the railcar or truck to be involved in the upcoming transfer in order to ensure that it is mechanically sound and there is no defective equipment before loading or unloading
- Wears all protective clothing and equipment, including respirator and fresh air equipment that may be required to transfer the product in a manner that ensures maximum personal safety
- Manually lifts railcar door when door falls out to put back in place.
- Manually lifts shakers to place on railcar.
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Stable work history with good references from past employers.
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check.
- Speak fluent English.
- PSC is a veteran-friendly company. Previous military experience and proven ability to follow procedures is a plus.
- Valid Driver’s License is required
Must be able to:
- Speak, write, read, hear and have good vision
- Work outside in environmental conditions, which at time includes extreme heat or extreme cold
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of PPE
- Life 50 pounds floor to waist
- Push and pull 50 pounds horizontally
- Carry 20 pounds while walking
- Climb stairs and ladders
- Extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting
Why join the PSC team?
- As the leader in product handling and site logistics for refineries, chemical producers, and marine transportation providers, Petroleum Service Corporation offers plant jobs with great earning potential and advancement opportunities.
- We’ve been in business since 1952 and have a strong reputation for quality service, safety, and environmental protection.
- Our employees are our #1 asset, and we invest considerable time and resources to train them well, keep them safe, and provide them with opportunities to gain valuable industry experience.
- The work we do makes a huge impact in our nation’s economy. Check out our videos at petroleumservice.com/videos to learn more.
- Hear what some of our employees have to say about working for us at petroleumservice.com/testimonials
- A variety of medical insurance options with the company paying a portion of the premiums, as well as affordable plans for dental, vision, accident, and critical illness coverage for employees and their families.
- Company-paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance.
- Matching 401(k) plan to help employees save money for retirement.
- Holidays, sick leave, and vacation benefits vary by work group and job classification.
- As a member of the SGS global family, our employees are eligible for group purchasing discounts for new auto purchases, homeowners’ and auto insurance coverage, and cell phone service.
- Safety incentives and bonuses.
- Industry-leading training and development programs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Petroleum Service Corporation, an SGS company, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.