SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) is a growing company with a proud tradition of excellence in providing product handling, operations, and logistics support at major oil refineries, chemical plants, and storage terminals in the United States and Canada. We are leaders in tankering barges, operating docks, switching railcars, operating warehouses, and loading and unloading tank cars and tank trucks with a variety of oil products and chemicals. We offer competitive wages, advancement opportunities, and industry-leading training and safety programs. Our excellent benefits package helps employees and their families maintain health, save money, and prepare for the future. At SGS PSC, we are a family-oriented company that fuels integrity, teamwork, and ambition. Our mission is to simply be the best at what we do and be recognized as the best.
Key benefits and services offered (depending on eligibility) affordable options for group, medical, dental, life, and disability insurance with company paying a portion of the premiums; matching 401(k) plan; employee discounts; industry-leading training and leadership development programs; paid sick leave, vacations, and holidays; safety incentives and bonuses; and much more.
The Operations Supervisor will be directly responsible for the PSC workgroup and actively engage with site leaders and field employees to ensure that all operations under his or her direction are striving to achieve excellent performance in the areas of safety, environmental and overall job quality. The job site will also produce acceptable value in terms of the business contribution with specific financial results as well as strategic value.
- Overall Operating Performance
- Ensures systems and processes are in place to drive safety and environmental performance by the workgroup.
- Clearly communicates goals around operating performance and ensures that they are understood.
- Has direct participation in safety meetings and overall training initiatives to model appropriate behavior for our field employees.
- Performs safety observations in the field to establish high visibility and engagement with employees.
- Reviews safety observation forms completed and identifies trends or areas of concern.
- Ensures that all incidents are investigated and participate directly in significant incidents (i.e. employee injuries, spills, derailments).
- Ensures that training is being conducted in alignment with PSC and the customer’s best practices, including auditing of records and informal participation in employee qualification process.
- Supports field employees with performance problems and helps establish effective corrective actions.
- Works closely with the field employees and customer to identify efficiencies and help implement them.
- Ensures positive recognition is occurring for good performance and personally participate in recognition events where possible.
- Assist with any other duties requested by the Operations Manager.
: Operating performance typically will be measured through statistics in recordable injuries, environmental incidents, derailments and significant property damages.
- Leadership Development
- Provides one-on-one and group coaching to field employees
- Actively participates and helps lead group leadership development activities and leadership training conducted with HR.
- Performs annual performance evaluation with field employees.
- Works closely with Operations Manager to identify future leaders, and creates an individual development plan for these candidates.
- Commercial and Business Issues
- Understands specific contract pay and billing details
- Manages damage claims to minimize impact.
- Identifies high risk activity or situations that may cause liabilities (injury, contamination, reputation and create solution plans.
- Develops win/win solutions to opportunities to maximize value to customer and at the same time contribute to PSC’s financial success.
- Recognizes and act appropriately for situations that balance protecting short-term financial impact versus long-term negative business position with a particular customer.
- Customer Relationships
- Knows who the key customer contacts are in the organization from top to bottom.
- Has regular contact with key customer personnel, including regular face-to-face interaction.
- Utilizes PSC quarterly report card process to facilitate the ongoing regular dialogue in customer relationship at the facility.
- Helps facilitate appropriate customer entertainment, particularly with senior management at organization.
- New Business Development
- Looks for new business opportunities and works to expand these operations, as appropriate.
- Is fully aware of and promotes other SGS services at existing account.
- Organizational Support
- Provides support and input to peers on the team
- Participates in regular in-plant management meetings.
- Shares information / best practices / lessons learned.
- Seeks input and collaboration on difficult issues and problems.
- Works closely with the HR and safety groups
- Recruiting / hiring / disciplinary actions.
- Helps conduct safety intensive and other key safety training.
- Effectively communicates and implements company policy changes.
- Actively supports business efforts between in-plant operations and PSC marine operations (best practices, training, leadership development, resource support…).
- Participates in any appropriate cross functional teams.
Job Requirements: 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.; stable work history with good references from past employers; pass a drug screen, physical, and background check; and speak fluent English.
Business Unit: SGS Petroleum Service Corporation
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Type of Position: Non-exempt
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability
SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) is an EOE/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer and
committed to a drug-free and harassment-free work environment.