Safety and Training Supervisor
Petroleum Service Corporation is the industry leader in product handling and site logistics, with 3,400+ employees working in more than 125 facilities across the U.S. and Canada. The Safety and Training Supervisor will be responsible for developing, updating and implementing the safety and training procedures / policies at a petrochemical plant in Westlake, LA. Our goal is to maintain our employee, facility and customer safety. This role will be proactive in seeking new ideas and resources to help drive safety and environmental performance at the site. The ideal candidate must have two years or more experience in a leadership role involving safety, training, HSE and/or operations. If you are seeking a rewarding, stable and long-term career with advancement opportunities, consider joining the PSC team!
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Develops, maintains and updates safety and training procedures / policies and performs annual procedure review.
- Maintains all safety and training documents in accordance with PSC's policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and drives training in all field level functions of responsibility within PSC's commitment to the customer.
- Provides regulatory guidance and interpretation for safety issues while maintaining compliance with all regulations.
- Tracks and reports safety and training performance of the site utilizing KPI's.
- Analyzes safety improvement areas to provide recommendations and solutions that can be implemented.
- Conducts regular field safety observations and creates innovative ideas to improve safety.
- Monitors operators to ensure the following of all safety policies. Mentors and coaches the operators and reports to the Site Leader.
- Reviews safety observation data from the other PSC leaders and develops action plans to address common or repeat issues.
- Leads formal incident investigations and produce written reports.
- Works with corporate safety group to develop effective Lessons Learned packages and delivers these to the work group.
- Will need to assign responsibilities while setting objectives and measuring, monitoring progress and results.
- Regularly coordinates meetings to motivate and communicate safety expectations to all PSC employees and helps motivate the group to reach all safety goals.
- Builds safety presentations and presents material in front of 40 employees on a weekly basis.
- Create a climate in which people want to do their best. Motivates and empowers others while inviting input from each employee and sharing ownership.
- Adheres to PSCs core values and beliefs with integrity. Practices what she/he preaches.
- Interfaces regularly with customer's Health, Safety & Environmental contacts.
- Takes responsibility for the site-specific safety recognition program in coordination with corporate office.
- Works with corporate office to see that all employees take their annual physicals and that other regulatory requirements are satisfied in a timely manner.
- Works with corporate office to see that all employees take the new hire and annual Safety Council training.
- Reports any other safety issues that might come to attention, to the Site Leader.
- Participates in any special safety and leadership training that the customer or PSC management requests.
- Two years or more experience in a leadership role involving safety, training, HSE and/or operations.
- Experience in formal incident investigation and lessons learned process.
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental or other related degree is a plus.
- Experience developing safety and / or operational procedures and policies with strong technical writing skills is preferred.
- Knowledge of OSHA and DOT regulations is preferred.
- Must be available for call outs to respond to incidents, if needed (day or night).
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Stable work history with good references from past employers.
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check.
- Speak fluent English.
- PSC is a veteran-friendly company. Previous military experience and proven ability to follow procedures is a plus.
- Strong listening skills, written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to be innovative, creative and a proven self-motivated, team-oriented attitude.
You must be able to:
Why join the PSC team?
- Speak, write, read, hear, and have good vision
- Work outside in environmental conditions, which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold
- Wear all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of PPE
- Lift 50 pounds floor to waist
- Push and pull 50 pounds horizontally
- Carry 20 pounds while walking
- Walk three to ten miles per day
- Stand four to eight hours per day
- Climb stairs and ladders
- Extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting
- As the leader in product handling and site logistics for refineries, chemical producers, and marine transportation providers, Petroleum Service Corporation offers plant jobs with great earning potential and advancement opportunities.
- We've been in business since 1952 and have a strong reputation for quality service, safety, and environmental protection.
- Our employees are our #1 asset, and we invest considerable time and resources to train them well, keep them safe, and provide them with opportunities to gain valuable industry experience.
- The work we do makes a huge impact in our nation's economy. Check out our videos at petroleumservice.com/videos to learn more.
- Hear what some of our employees have to say about working for us at petroleumservice.com/testimonials
- A variety of medical insurance options with the company paying a portion of the premiums, as well as affordable plans for dental, vision, accident, and critical illness coverage for employees and their families
- Company-paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan to help employees save money for retirement
- Holidays, sick leave, and vacation benefits vary by work group and job classification
- As a member of the SGS global family, our employees are eligible for group purchasing discounts for new auto purchases, homeowners' and auto insurance coverage, and cell phone service.
- Safety incentives and bonuses
- Industry-leading training and development programs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Petroleum Service Corporation, an SGS company, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.